3 men siting in lounge of Veterans Center

Frequently Asked Questions

What does the Center strive to accomplish?

The Center’s mission is to provide a range of transition, academic, health, and career and employment services to student veterans enrolled at the University of Illinois and their families. Students will be served through comprehensive and individualized plans that contain a blend of services, including neuropsychological testing, assisting the veteran with accessing necessary accommodations, providing access to assistive technology, tutorial support, counseling and psychological services for the veteran and his/her family, and career and employment development. Additionally, research connected to veterans with disabilities is critical to improve the services provided and enhance the quality of their lives and the lives of their families. As such, the Center will be a place to explore innovative methods, develop new assistive technologies, test important questions, and discover treatments in a wide variety of disciplines.

Are there are online classes I can take to meet general education requirements?

You can see a list of online classes here.

What types of disabilities will the Center assist with?

The Center is equipped to provide services and support for a wide range of visible and invisible wounds and injuries. A thorough assessment will be conducted with Center staff to determine the types of services that will best support you.

Do I need a disability rating by the Department of Veterans Affairs to receive services?

To receive services through the Center, a documented disability is required. This can be a letter from your personal doctor or the VA. If you do not have a documented disability but believe that you may have an injury or wound that is affecting you, it is recommended that you contact the Center. We can provide support for initial testing and assist with referrals. If you do not currently have a documented disability, you are still encouraged to contact us.

What are the benefits of receiving services through the Center?

Students will access and utilize services as appropriate to their individual needs and interests. In addition to a variety of health and life skills and career and employment services, the Center will provide support with your transition to campus along with academic advising, tutoring, and coaching. Some students may also receive services for a reasonable accommodation.

A reasonable accommodation is a modification or adjustment to instructional methods and/or a course, program, service, activity or facility that enables a qualified student with a disability to have an equal opportunity. An equal opportunity means an opportunity to attain the same level of performance or to enjoy equal benefits and privileges as are available to a similarly-situated student without a disability.

I’m out of state, will the GI Bill cover my education?

The state of Illinois provides in-state residency for tuition purposes to students using the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

How do I determine if the Center is right for me?

The Center is designed so that students access and navigate services at their own pace. If you have questions about the Center, you are encouraged to contact us for more information.

I am currently on active duty or undergoing rehabilitation for my injuries. Who can I speak with?

Please contact us directly for individualized guidance.

How do I determine if the Center is right for me?

The Center is designed so that students access and navigate services at their own pace. If you have questions about the Center, you are encouraged to contact us for more information.

How will I pay for it?

Most students will be able to cover the costs of attendance through their VA education benefits, Vocational Rehabilitation eligibility or the Illinois Veterans Grant. In addition to federal and state benefits, financial aid in the form of grants, scholarships, and loans may also be available. To maximize your benefits package, each student will receive individualized guidance from our Vet Success on Campus Counselor and Veterans Certifying Official. You can access the Office of Student Financial Aid here: http://osfa.illinois.edu/types-of-aid/veterans

I was not awarded a Pell Grant, and I am coming to UIUC right after active duty. What does this mean?

Your income may have been too high because you were on active duty. There is a possibility that you will be awarded it next year. Be sure to fill out your FAFSA early so that you will be considered.

Do veterans receive priority registration at UIUC?

Yes, they do. Your time ticket will be much earlier than your counterparts. Veterans, athletes, and James Scholars receive early time tickets. To check you status on when your time ticket is, check to see your registration eligibility on Enterprise Self Service.

Do I have to live in University Housing?

Generally, no. Transfer students and students over 21 are not required to live on campus, and University Housing has an exemption waiver process for students under 21 to be released from the live-in requirement. Get the waiver form from Forms and Documents page. If you’d like to live on campus, there are many options available. The Center also has beautiful, individual rooms available for interested veterans and military-connected students.